Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Dad's last fishing trip


This is my account of the last day I spent with my father, friend, and hero.

We set out from home to go ice fishing and camping up at our lot near Red Feather, CO. Once the truck was loaded up with the supplies, and of course our dog Caisy, we were off. We reached the lake at 3 p.m., unloaded the fishing gear and put on our ice crampons. The weather was pretty harsh with wind gusts pushing 40 mph. We found a nice spot to drill a couple holes about 150 yards from the shoreline. We each drilled a hole through the 18 inch thick ice. After getting situated we soon realized it was too windy to even keep the fishing line in the water. We decided to pack it up and go see some friends. I took a load of things to the truck and left him on the ice where he was gathering up the gear. As I turned around after putting the things in the pickup I saw my dad lying flat on his back out in the middle of the ice. The wind was blowing snow all around him as I ran to him. I came to him and bent over his head and repeatedly ask what happened. I did not move him at first because I didn’t see the accident. At first he was unresponsive but came to in a daze. His eyes were franticly looking around and he was trying to push me away. He was moving his arms and legs so I thought that was a good sign. He even tried to roll over to try and stand but I was able to get him the lay back down. I never got him to respond verbally to me and his eyes never seem to recognize me. I told him we had to get off the ice and I was going to try to pull him. I was only able to move him about 10 yards. At this point he “fell asleep” and began to have trouble breathing. Luckily I had cellular service and called 911 at 3:25 p.m. I explained in as much detail as possible the situation and told the operator we were on the ice. The 911 operator had me make sure his airway was still clear and he could breathe as easily as possible. I was on the line with the operator until I saw one of the first responders around 3:50 pm. She reached me on the ice and had a radio synced with the other rescuers and paramedics. She radioed to everybody to bring crampons or yak trax to walk on the ice. One of the locals who was listening to the radio traffic heard that we needed a blanket and came out on the ice with a sleeping bag. The rescuers were deciding on how to move him and suggested getting a sled to pull him with. The truck with the sled finally arrived. I ran to the shore to help the one fireman carry the sled in the blowing wind. Once we reached the ice the fireman was slipping and getting blown down. I told him to give me the sled and I ran over to my dad sled in hand. Once there the rescuers were deciding on how to lift him onto the sled. I told them to tilt him on to his side and I’ll slide the sled under him. Once my dad was situated on the sled there were no ropes to pull it with. I had to run back to the truck again to get some ropes and tie-downs. All the while the wind chill was 15 below, and Caisy was in the truck sheltered from the outdoors.
There were 3 or 4 guys pulling and I was pushing the sled across the ice. People kept falling because they were unprepared for the ice, so we had to stop and regroup frequently along the way. We finally got him to the waiting ambulance and loaded up around 4:15 p.m. At that point I did all I could do, and he was in the hands of the Lord. I appreciate everybody who showed up to rescue my father. There is no way I could have got him off the ice by myself. It took the ambulance 2 hours to get him transported to the ER. Dad was hypothermic with a temperature of 86 degrees. The ER doctor told us he was not responsive and his brain injury involved a very large bleed into his brain.

My dad was an amazing man and I am blessed for having him as my father. He left this world too early but we know God called him home. We take great comfort in knowing that he knew the Lord and the sacrifice Jesus made for us all. I know I am a better man because of his guidance as a father and friend. I am extremely grateful for everyone’s thoughts and prayers. The outpouring of love is so amazing and we know we are loved. Thank you all!

God bless
Love Adam

3 comments:

  1. My son plays on the Silver Creek soccer team with Evan. I want to thank you for your generosity in sharing so many of the details of your dad's passing. I hope it is as helpful in your grieving and healing as it is to my understanding of what happened. Your story reminds me of the births of my two sons (intense, detailed memory), and also reminds me that death is just a ways down the road from birth. My heart goes out to you and your family.

    Diana Shellenberger (Geoff Murray's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adam,

    I'm so sorry for the loss of your Dad. He was a fine human being. He will be greatly missed by all who knew him.

    Thank you for telling us this story. It helps us all understand a little better how this sad event occurred.

    Your actions that day were heroic. I know that our father is proud of you. His remaining with us just wasn't meant to be.

    I wish there were something I could say to ease the pain, but I know there is not. Time is all that can help.

    I'll always remember your Dad as the happy, funny, good hearted, generous man that he was.

    Our thoughts are with your whole family,
    Al Hamor

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want to say how sad and shocked I was to hear the news of Jimbo's accident. I worked very closely with him over the last few years and always found him to be just about the most genuine, caring, human being I'd ever encountered.

    Yes, I bickered with him about work details occasionally as I'm sure he might have said, but we always got our problems resolved and were able to work closely together. I will miss his help dearly.

    The thing that I loved doing with him the most was discussing world events, the economy and other non-work related stuff because he read up on it quite a lot and always had an interesting insight to bring to the discussion. Our last day before the holidays, in the lab, we had a big round table discussion about the mess the world seems to be in and it was a great, lively time! He was a VERY funny man!!

    There is a big hole in our lab... and our hearts now that he is gone. We will miss him dearly.

    He was a great father who was VERY proud of his kids! I loved that kayak that he built with you. What a work of art!

    My thoughts go out to you.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete