Monday, January 5, 2009

My last memory with my dad


This is the last Christmas that I had the privilege to spend with my dad, teacher, camping buddy, and best friend. I’ve chosen to write about this because it’s the last memory that my dad left with me, and it’s how I want to remember him.
My new wife and I thought what a fun Christmas it would be if we could have my family down to our new house in Castle Rock to celebrate with them. So we asked, half expecting to get denied knowing that my mom always has grand plans for entertaining at their house. To our surprise, they said they would absolutely love to be with us that day.
Vale and I were so exited to finally return the favor to my parents and take the load off of them for the holiday.
The day finally came. It was different than any other Christmas morning I’ve ever experienced as I’m newly married and I was in my own house. We were lucky to have Vale’s mom and her brother stay the night with us so it wasn’t as awkward to wake up Christmas morning without any parents! We checked to see what Santa brought for us in our stockings and it was time to get headed out to Vale’s Grandparents’ house to celebrate with the Skiff side of the family. They were all so happy to see us and sad that we could not stay longer. We had to get back home to meet my parents there, and Vale hadn’t even prepared lunch yet.
When we called my Mom on our way home we were happy to hear that they were running late. When my family showed up we gave the usual hugs and “Merry Christmas’s.” Then they each brought in their gifts for us. My dad did not have one as he kept his promise that he would not give Christmas gifts this year. I can appreciate that because we have always agreed that the best gift is just being in the presence of each other. We all settled in and my siblings and I caught up as we always do. I remember looking over at my Dad sitting on my couch just thumbing through our three small photo albums with the biggest smile on his face.
We decided to get the gifts out of the way so we all piled in my living room to gather around the tree. As we opened up our gifts for each other my Dad sat back and smiled as he took it all in. I always had a sense of how proud he was of all of his kids, but it was very strong at that point. At least once every other time he saw me he would say, “Did I ever tell you how proud I am of you.” My sister gave the most heartfelt gift of Christmas. Vale and I both received family pictures with homemade frames that later would have a larger impact then we ever could imagine.
After appetizers we ate Vale’s delicious stuffed pasta shells and garlic bread. My Dad was always so polite and the first one to tell a cook just how good their food was, so of course he told Vale what a great job she did. My house is not the biggest house for entertaining so we gathered around my coffee table so we could use the couch for added seating. It was a big change from my parent’s huge dining room table, but nobody said a word. Luckily this was not the end of the night. We had games to play!!
The first game we played was “Whoonew” a game in which you find out just how well you know the people that you are playing against. My Dad was smoking all of us through most of the game. I was lucky enough to pull off a come back and tied him at the end of the game. We played a couple other team games and my Dad’s team just kept winning! I talked my Dad and brother into having a Christmas beer with me called Old Chub. It was so dark that Adam was clearly not enjoying it, but Dad liked it so much that he poured it out into a wine glass so he could see just how dark it was.
It was getting late and we had a long night of fun and games. So we decided to call it. We gave out our hugs; I gave my usual bear hugs (I learn from the best). When I hugged my father I told him that I loved him. He said, ‘I love you too buddy,’ and that was it. They were off, and that was the last time I saw my dad conscious. I remember lying in bed with Vale that night and remarking just how lucky of a person I was to be surrounded by such a bright and cheery family.
My Father will be missed greatly for all who knew him and those who didn’t yet get to meet him. He was a very proud, strong, responsible, frugal, moral, and most of all happy man. He lived every day to the fullest whether he was at work or at play. He would always put a smile on your face and always have the right words to say. So whenever you think of him, SMILE.


On a final note I would like to personally thank all of our family and friends for your thoughtful cards, generous food donations, flowers, and time spent with me and my family over this past week. Your thoughts and laughter shared with us will be in our hearts forever.


In Him,
Justin James Hirt

2 comments:

  1. This is so incredibly beautiful and touching. If only everyone could have such a happy memory as their last one with a loved one....God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With a heavy heart today I write this. Jim is gone? Seems so very unlikely. I know it’s true but I am having difficulty with the concept. What is bothering me the most is the fact that I was always planning to spend more time with him, get together more often, maybe even get up to the lake for a visit. Sure goes to show again, to me at least, that we never know what we have. I spent a lot of hours with Jim talking about life, love, politics, religion, art, music, science… you name it. Jim and I struck a chord together somehow, having certain views that were very similar and others that were not. We always managed, though, to see each other’s point of view. Jim had both compassion and intelligence beyond what most people can muster, and was often able to cheer me up when I was down. I am sure going to miss him.

    ReplyDelete