Saturday, January 3, 2009

Rad dad!


There are so many amazing things to say about my Dad, and I want to share a few of them with everyone. My Dad is the best father a boy could ever ask for.... and I am not just saying that! My Dad had an unconditional love for every single one of us kids and would do anything just to make us happy. Just four days before his accident, he helped me finish painting my bedroom. That was his Christmas gift to me, because we were not spending money this year on gifts, in order to save for better things. Just that gift alone was the best gift I could of asked for, because it was the gift of giving and it came right from the love in his heart.
I can recall many times where I have looked up to my Dad and said to myself "I want to be just like my Dad!" He was the nicest person that was not judgmental at all. If there was anyone that desperately needed help, he would sit down and talk with them to find some way to help them out. My Father was a man that could sit down with anybody and have a deep conversation with them and even change their lives. He was easy to talk to, about whatever you wanted to talk about. He was a Godly man that always helped others.
One of the things that I will miss about my Dad is the crazy nicknames he would give to us kids and even my close friends. One nickname that he gave to me was, "Tatter Head." He would always call Justin, Adam, Larissa and I his little "squiglets". He would sometimes say "Evan Michael Hirt... he's a big flirt." But my personal favorite was when he wanted a hug from me he would say, "give me a hug ya big bug." I always loved hearing that from my Dad, and I would give him a bear hug just as tightly as he hugged me. Growing up, I was always making some kind of weird noise or saying some made up word or phrase that my family always laughed at. Looking back, I know that that crazy wild side of me came from my awesome Dad! :)
My Dad has made me a lover of the great outdoors, dirt bikes, motorcycles, craftsmanship, guitars, and many more things. There is nothing more, other than God and family, that my Dad loved more than being in "God's Country." He preferred being in the mountains, something I share with him also. I love being with the family at our lot in the mountains and love everything there is to do there.
Friday the fam and I went to go pick up my Dad's ashes at the mortuary in Boulder and it was pretty difficult. This still seems like it's not happening......seems like my Father is still around. His ashes sit on the mantle to remind us that it is really true. These next few months are going to be hard knowing that my Father isn't going to be around and doing all the things he used to do. With the help of God, family and friends I know I will be able to make it through. There is nothing that I am going to miss more than my Father. Thank you very much everyone for everything that you have done for me and my family. I appreciate your love and support.

Love, Evan

1 comment:

  1. What an absolutely beautiful tribute. I am sure your dad is smiling down on you from heaven, so proud of you (and your siblings). He sounds like he was an amazing man who lived his faith 24/7. You were blessed with a wonderful person for your father. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete