Thursday, January 1, 2009

Vale's Remembrance


I’ve known Jim for just about as long as I’ve known my husband, Justin. I remember just like it was yesterday the first time I met my future father-in-law. It was at the Hirt house in Longmont on the day of Justin and Larissa’s graduation party. Justin and I had only been dating for about a week, so you can imagine how nervous I was to meet his parents!!!! I think I got introduced to Linda in passing because she was busy being her beautiful self, playing hostess to a house full of friends and family. Justin introduced me to Jim and he, of course, talked my ear off! He was so genuinely interested in me and he just met me! When I left, Jim gave me that big bear hug that the Hirts are so good at and kissed me on the cheek and told me ‘Love ya girl’. I’ll never forget how he welcomed me into the family from the very first day. That’s a memory that I will cherish forever.

Over the next two and half years I was fortunate to spend a lot of quality time with my new family-to-be. I was able to attend a family reunion in Nashville, camping at the property in Red Feathers, choir concerts, holidays, birthday parties...there was a constant every time I was able to spend time with them, and that was the love and acceptance they had for me and expressed. Jim taught the family to be loving and accepting and God-fearing, and that showed through in each and every one of them.

Justin and I were so blessed to be married on October 25 on a beautiful day at a beautiful venue. All of our families were there which made it even more special. Words can’t explain how grateful we are that God allowed our parents to attend our wedding....it would not have been the same without any of them. It was the day that I gained even more of an extended family than I already have, and I love every one of them just like they are my family by blood!!!!

The Hirts were able to put a kink in their normal holiday traditions and allowed me to cook Christmas day dinner for them. The whole family packed into our cozy home, and we had a wonderful day of board games, laughs and food! I won’t forget sitting next to Jim during a game of catch phrase and him trying to calm down my competitive spirit...he was always so laid back (one of my favorite qualities that Justin inherited). It was such a great day and I’ll remember my and Justin’s last day with Jim forever.

The events that followed are all kind of a blur in my head right now. Rushing from a wedding to the hospital an hour away, not certain of what was really going on; worrying about my dogs who were at home (thank God for good friends, Eric). The 24 hours that we spent at the hospital seemed like an eternity; waiting for test results, waiting for Jim to wake up, hearing the story over and over again as new friends/family arrived. Justin and I drove back to Castle Rock quickly to get clothes and shower on Sunday and arrived back to the hospital to find out that Jim’s organs could not be donated...this was the end. I couldn’t believe it...everything just came crashing down in my head and it was finally real. This was really happening. I was losing my new dad, the kids were losing their father, Linda was losing her husband.

I have always had a horrible fear of death, but I think if there is anything good that comes out of this for me, it’s my realization that death is nothing to be feared. I was there as Jim died and I was surprisingly peaceful as I stood there holding onto his hand. I realized, with the help of the Hirt’s strong Christian faith, that Jim truly was going to a better place and we all will be so lucky when we get to join him. Life on Earth can be taken away at any second, but that’s ok!!! I know this and understand this, but it still doesn’t take away from the sadness I feel right now. My sadness is selfish though. I want Jim to be here to see his grandkids born; I want Jim to build a crib using his amazing carpentry skills; I want Jim to be here to see Justin’s successes as a business man; and I want Jim to be here to walk Larissa down the aisle. Three years ago I was battling with the fear that my dad wouldn’t be able to walk me down the aisle after he was diagnosed with brain cancer...I remember the pain I felt just imagining the scenario...I can’t fathom the pain of actually being faced with it. I am truly lucky and blessed that God took my dad’s cancer away so that he had the opportunity to see his only daughter marry into the most wonderful family in the world. Justin pointed out to me a couple nights ago as we were trying to go to sleep that my dad has just been promoted to being his only dad. I know he will gladly step up to the plate, and I know that is one of the reasons that God kept my dad alive. This has truly been the most difficult situation that God has put in my path, but I know that I will get through it. I have Justin by my side for the rest of our lives, until death do us part, and I will cherish every moment of my life on this earth and gladly embrace my forever in heaven.

Love you momo, dad, Thew, mom and dad Hirt, Justin, Adam, Larissa and Evan,
Vale

1 comment:

  1. Linda and family,

    We are so sorry for your loss. Please know that you all are in our prayers. If there is ANYTHING we can do for you, please call us!

    The Zemlicka Family

    ReplyDelete